- At the moment, one bitcoin cost:
- Version 0.14 released.
- The price of 1 bitcoin surpassed the spot price of an ounce of gold for the first time.
- The number of GitHub projects related to bitcoin passed 10,000.
- Price traded above $1290.
- Japan Declares Bitcoin as Legel Tender
- Bitcoin "splits" into Bitcoin (BTC) and Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
- Bitcoin for the first time hit $10,000
- Price at $1150 per bitcoin.
- Price fell 30% in a week, reaching a multi-month low of $750.
- The network exceeded 1 exahash/sec.
- Steam started accepting bitcoin as payment.
- There are 770 bitcoin ATMs worldwide.
- 2015 record high of $504.
- Price spiked to $1000, then settled in the $800–$900range.
- The network exceeded 100 petahash/sec.
- Microsoft began to accept bitcoin to buy Xbox games and Windows apps.
- Version 0.8 released.
- Bitcoin goes up to $30.
- Bitcoin spikes to $74.90.
- Market cap reaches $1 billion.
- Bitcoin surpasses $100.
- Price hits an all-time high of $266.
- Bitcoin Central is hacked.
- First Bitcoin ATM unveiled.
- Bitcoin Central gets hacked again.
- FBI shuts down Silk Road.
- Bitcoin price drops from $139 to $109.71 in less than three hours after Silk Road closure, recovers.
- Bitcoin price surges to a new all-time record of $1242.
- Price crashed to $600, rebounded to $1000, crashed again to the $500 range. Stabilized in between.
- China's Central Bank bans Bitcoin transactions.
- The network exceeded 10 petahash/sec.
- London 2012 Bitcoin Conference.
- Bitcoin Foundation begins.
- Slowly rising for a year. Price at $13.
- Silk Road opens for business.
- 25% of total Bitcoins generated.
- Second largest decrease in difficulty.
- Britcoin opens for trading.
- Bitcoin Brasil opens.
- Bitcoin passes parity with Euro.
- Difficulty surpasses 100,000.
- Bitcoin Market drops PayPal.
- The largest percentage price decrease to-date became known as the Great Bubble of 2011. Top of bubble at $31.
- WikiLeaks starts accepting Bitcoin.
- Major breach of security at MtGox.
- Difficulty passes 1 million.
- Bitcoin Conference and World Expo in New York City, NY.
- P2Pool mines its first block.
- Back-to-back drop in difficulty.
- Casascius coins mint physical Bitcoins.
- Bitcoin & Future Technology European Conference in Prague, Czech Republic.
- $2 minimum price after the first price drop.
- The Bitcoin Market is established as a Bitcoin currency exchange.
- Encryption patent is published.
- The first real-world transaction using 10,000 BTC spent on pizza.
- Version 0.3 released.
- In five days, the price grew 1000%, rising from $0.008 to $0.08 for 1 bitcoin.
- The MtGox Bitcoin currency exchange market is established.
- Exploit generates 184 billion Bitcoins.
- Financial task force issues warning.
- The first public version of an OpenCL miner is released.
- Market cap exceeds $1 million USD.
- Bitcoind compiled for Nokia N900.
- First mobile Bitcoin transaction.
- Difficulty increases.
- Block 0 is established.
- Version 0.1 of Bitcoin is released.
- The first Bitcoin transaction.
- An exchange rate is established.
- Version 0.2 is released.
- The difficulty increases.
- Neal Kin, Vladimir Oksman, and Charles Bry file an application for an encryption patent application.
- Bitcoin.org was registered at anonymousspeech.com.
- Nakamoto describes the Bitcoin currency and solves the problem of double spending.
- Satoshi Nakamoto began working on the Bitcoin concept.